Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunday Morning

Karyn and Tyler came yesterday. Tyler had a rough night. He is not usually a crier but was overtired.
I think I am going to church on the internet this morning. Trying to keep myself away from crowds so my immune system stays strong.
Got an email back from Moffitt. Am trying to get an appt over there this week to have my records reviewed. Want to make sure I am getting the newest in care standards. My oncologist is onboard with me getting any up to the date information available.
Moffitt is aligned with Anderson in Texas. Both are known for their breast cancer centers. My brother in law has an in with someone at Moffitt.
I think Sloan Kettering in N.Y. is the top center. Anyone know anyone up there?

6 comments:

  1. Leslie, I don't know anyone at S-K but it is one of the best in the world.(so is MD Anderson) Be careful you don't get confused by getting too many opinions though.
    Your oncologist sounds very much on it. In cancer you are going to get a lot of different ways to be treated and it is ok to look at them. But at some point you have to say, this is the way I'm going and put your trust in that.
    The truth is that, unfortuately, breast cancer is not uncommon. The good news is, as a result, there are a lot of people out there competently trained to treat it.
    The one place I can tell you not to come is Shands. They don't have a good program. They just opened a huge multimillion dollar facility though and as a result attracted a top rate chairman,so I believe, in a few years, they will have a good program. But not now.

    Julie told me you have a yeast infection. Does your oncologist know? That would be important to tell them.

    Thinking of you all the time.Hope you don't mind me butting in with my thoughts.

    Much love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy - I don't feel you are "butting in" especially since you are an M.D. and family. I have noticed I have been getting quite a few opinions for alternative medicine. I am planning conventional Western Medicine. Breast cancer research has come a long way in the past few years and probably will come further while I am recovering from this.
    My Oncologist did get a second opinion from Univ Miami so I am quite confident in him. Hopefully if I get into Moffitt my hope is they will just confirm the course I am on and maybe I can hook my dr up with another source for his practice for the future. He is a sweet fellow but doesn't present a good poker face. He has this sad little Venezuelan face and accent as he is telling me bad news. I let him know that I had been attacked by a shark so this little ole cancer was no big deal!
    As for the yeast thing. I feel like i am trying to get thrush in my mouth. Wouldn't know that except for my exceptional dental hygiene training! I have been on antibiotics for a full month and my mouth is getting red and sensitive but not white and patchy yet. I have been taking some probiotics to try to reverse soreness. Tonight is my LAST antibiotic pill. If I am no better by Wednesday I will call the dr. That will give me a whole week to fight it before chemo starts.
    Going in for another nuclear test this morning. This one for my heart. Will blog later on the procedure. Thanks Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning girlie!
    My Mom was in the care of Moffitt. IT is impressive there. Glad your 3rd surgery went well! Aggressive group you have working with you! We are praying, not much in the medical dept. Do not know anyone for an "in" anywhere except God- best in.
    Maybe if you swish some salt water in your mouth it will help.
    Love you,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Is the best in ms Palmer!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Les,
    My opinion, from a dental perspective is that you should talk with your oncologist asap about a possible candida infection. It won't get better by itself and you might need a couple of doses of diflucan to get rid of it, and so may take a few days...
    love you,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Leslie!

    Hope your scan went well today! I know the Lord has his arms around you! If the shark didn't win...this won't stand a chance:) Would love to bring you guys some food? Our neighbor who is a radiology onocologist now in Sarasota was here this weekend and he said if you could get an opinion from moffet that would be great. He said that is where he took his mother. Remember Christina is a PA in Charleston working with the Center for Reconstruction and on Mondays they are at the Charleston Breast Center so you can bug her with any questions...843-754-9622 We're here to do anything you need! W & V

    ReplyDelete